10.05.2005

my work environment is so unhealthy. i know i've voiced my work issues before, but it never improves. since school started in august, the problems i've had with the high school boys has gotten completely out of control. instead of making slightly veiled comments toward me or within earshot, they have begun full on harrassing me. so it went from mildly disturbing to making me severely uncomfortable...like referring to me as "the wife" or just flat out propositioning me. it is awful, and i loathe having to even set foot in the high school building. anyone who knows me knows that i am not asking for this. i'm very careful about what i wear to work and what i say to the kids. i've addressed this issue head on and gotten no results. i never hear the other staff back me up. my boss and i are it. i don't want other staff...particularly the male staff...to fight my battles for me since that just makes it look like i won't defend myself and that it is okay to objectify women. and that is never okay. but it would be nice to feel like i'm backed in this...that when it continues they will help me out...a team approach if you will. i've worked with teenagers along time and have never been in a situation like this. last year i could just laugh about it, but it has gotten so bad that i just feel dirty and want to hide out in my office. i shouldn't even have to deal with this. but how does a counselor handle harrassment when it is the clients doing the harrassing? i can't very well file a lawsuit on them. this completely sucks.