5.23.2005

Friends

I have been thinking quite a bit lately about what makes a true friend different from an aquaintance in my book. In doing so, I have discovered a few things I had never really thought about.

Those I consider true friends are those that are all of the obvious things...trustworthy, caring, invested in the relationship, encouraging, etc. However, they all have done a couple of very important things. Most of them have walked with me through one or several trying periods in my life. Not one of them has ever failed to offer gentle correction when needed. The writer of Proverbs states that wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses. (Proverbs 27:6) Wounds from my true friends are those I can trust since they come out of love and concern for me. It is the example given to us in the Bible. Isaiah said that God wounds but He also heals. He wounds us to heal us...to grow us...and those friends who are willing to do the same also want to see us grow. This is characteristic I have realized that I value above all else. They don't correct me out of a need to "run" everyone elses business because even if I didn't accept their correction, they would love me anyway. And they expect the same thing from me. These are the straight shooters that possess honesty that should be prized. They don't worry about what it may do to the relationship...but they have also made deposits enough into that relationship account that they can make those kind of withdrawls. And it is that characteristic alone that earns my respect and unending devotion above all else. Anyone I consider a close friend has this quality.

I am so very private and guarded that most people never really get to know me. There are precious few who have that priviledge...but I know I can be real and sometimes real ugly with them with the security of knowing that they love me anyway. And they can be the same with me...no pretentions, no judgements...just freedom to be emotionally, spiritually naked. In fact, I can almost count them on one hand.

So...those of you that I know read this and fall into that catagory (you know who you are)...thank you for letting me bare my heart and loving me enough to offer correction when I need it. I wish I was perfect so I wouldn't need it, but it is comforting to know that I have you. Everyone needs an Aaron and Hur to hold up their arms sometimes. You better believe I would do it for you. Some of you are actual family, most of you aren't, but you are all family to me.