1.21.2005

Born to be wild...or something like that...

So I'd thought I'd post something new...finally. Since I had a request to post about the recent road trip I took with three of the most fabulous girls you could ever meet, I thought I'd give a recount with commentary on the adventures of four young ladies and Austin, Texas...

Since we had a long weekend, a road trip was constructed and a plan put into action. We booked a room at the Double Tree...recently remodeled and pretty swanky...for the low price of $40. Thank you, Priceline.com. With that settled, we set out from Fort Worth Saturday afternoon...just the four of us...Lili, Tenille, Melissa, and yours truly. We chatted and napped our way to Austin.

Once there, we settled into our accommodations and began the beautification process for a night out on the town. We decided to eat at Thai Passion...a great Thai place downtown on 7th street. After dinner...since we were there anyway...we decided to cruise down the infamous 6th street to see what all the fuss was about. It was interesting. Especially since I was the only one who had ever been on 6th street before. The sidewalks were gradually becoming more crowded as guys stood outside of various establishments informing passersby that there was no cover and $2 wells just inside.

Then we saw it...or should I say him. The man we all know as Leslie was standing outside...in about 40 degree weather wearing nothing but a ladies top, a g-string, and a smile. When we saw him, he was showing off his bare hind parts for a camera...posing with a women for a picture. She must have been a tourist.

A short time had passed before Tenille asked me what wells were. I just chuckled and answered her...then she asked what domestics were. I answered that too and began to feel as though I knew too much about beer. And I don't really know that much...that's what's so funny. So we decided we should go in at least one place to see what it is like. We picked Coyote Ugly...I wanted to see if it was anything like the movie. Well, the girls do in fact dance on the bar...but I felt that to be degrading and embarrassing...and I wasn't even on the bar. We stood around awkwardly for about five minutes and decided to leave. As we walked up the other side of the street...we were informed by a young man standing on the corner that there were lots of guys in this place called Fuel and that we could get drunk there for less than $10. I couldn't figure out if we just looked desperate or if he said that to every girl walking by. Who knows. We laughed though.

Finally we found a place to hang out for awhile...the local Starbucks. Yes...we went to 6th street to have coffee. Hey...we aren't as young and wild as we may once have been. But we had a good time...sipping coffee and laughing.

By 11:30, we were back at the hotel and in bed. We commenced laughing especially when Melissa announced that she had a cramp in her 3rd toe which prompted Tenille to ask which one was her 3rd toe...and talking until we all fell asleep...about 2 am. But not before our resident 4th grade teacher...aka Tenille...made us go around the room and say something nice about everyone there. Want to know what she said to me? "Angie, thanks for telling be about wells and domestics." Lovely...I'm the beer girl. Makes a girl feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :) (Just kidding, Tenille. I know what you meant!) There were no pillow fights. No makeovers. Just good old fashioned fun.

We slept in, ate a Sunday Brunch at Threadgill's...complete with live gospel music...and visited the Bob Bullock Texas History Museum and the Capitol Building before journeying back to FW. I think it is safe to say a great time was had by all.

While you may be reading this and wondering why it is post worthy, let me just say...you had to be there. We can entertain ourselves better than any bar. We certainly are amusing. Ladies, we'll have to take another road trip soon. I couldn't imagine a girl trip without you three. It should be interesting.